Saturday, June 21, 2008

It's Blueberry Time

Mallory looking the part...but not actually playing the part.
Cole in his element- outside, on a farm!
Mia's version of picking- dumping dirt from one pail to another.

So, I am all about planning stuff for the summer, including school hour M-F, field trips, library days, pool/Splashtown and basically anything to entertain and teach my kids. So our first official field trip was an outing to Morehead Blueberry Farm. Of course it was the first day of a Super Hot week here in Houston. So when we pulled up at 9:45, it was already blazing hot! But we were optimistic, meaning I was convincing my kiddos it wasn't THAT hot. Well, the girls lasted about 45 minutes and baled. Chloe took the keys and the little girls to sit in the air conditioned car.(Ironic since the A/C went out about 6 hours later....another blog). But Cole and I prevailed and managed to pick 7 1/2 pds of blueberries in a total of 1 and 1/2 hours! Yea for us.

Cole: I am good at picking blueberries

Mom: Yes you are.

Cole: I should be a picker when I grow up.

Mom:Yes, you should.

Cole:I pick better than you do.

Pause..I look at his pail and sure enough, he actually has way more than me!

Mom: Yes, you are a way better picker than me!

We are planning on returning next week, sans the girls to do some serious picking, with Cole's help of course!

3 comments:

Jenn said...

I love it! And how smart of Mallory to wear blue!! I also LOVE the new pictures on the side bar...you are looking hot yourself Miss Julie..you need to write, "The Hot Mama!"

Kelly said...

I think I'll have to go get some too...early in the morning! We'll see how well Layla can pick

Anonymous said...

I have been wanting to do this myslef, but fear that my two drama queens will be crying due to the heat as well. :) And I don't have anyone who could take them to the car and turn the AC on for them. ;) Maybe next year? :)